Faculty, Marine Science - Coral Reef Biology, Ecology, Management and Restoration
FLORIDA KEYS COMMUNITY COLLEGE invites applications for the position of: Faculty, Marine Science - Coral Reef Biology, Ecology, Management and Restoration
SALARY: $58,159.00 - $71,632.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 11/01/18
DESCRIPTION: The Faculty, Marine Science position is a full-time, 10-month Faculty position that will commence August 16, 2019. This position is an instructional position with duties and responsibilities which are established in accordance with State Board of Education Rules and Board of Trustee policies. Teaching assignments will focus on coral reef biology, ecology, assessment, management, and restoration. Courses and hours will vary according to class schedules. Faculty maintains a 35 hour per week. This position reports to the Dean, Marine Science and Technology.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Plans, organizes and instructs assigned courses to promote student success.
2. Maintains required office hours to provide assistance to students and communication with administration.
3. Responsible for evaluating student learning and objective achievement and providing feedback.
4. Selects appropriate materials and equipment for discipline or program use, and ensures proper care and safety in their use.
5. Organizes and supervises the marine science and aquaculture lab activities.
6. Assists with course and program development, including curriculum development and grant writing, recruiting and advising students, and implementing program objectives.
7. Assists in marine science research projects.
8. Adheres to and enforces the administrative policies and procedures of the College.
9. Works with other faculty to evaluate and revise existing courses and to develop new courses.
10. Assists in implementing College policies, objectives and functions in accordance with the College Mission Statement.
11. Participates and assists with SACS accreditation efforts as assigned by supervisor.
12. Responsible for keeping current in the discipline or program areas taught.
13. Participates in Institutional Planning and Budget process.
14. Participates in staff and committee work.
15. Attends College-wide academic and staff meetings and academic official functions.
16. Maintains good relationships with community agencies and groups and participates as appropriate.
17. Assists in all College recruitment & retention efforts as appropriate.
18. Attends spring Graduation/Commencement ceremony.
19. Additional duties as assigned.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
• Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in curriculum development.
• Ability to deliver high quality instruction in a range of marine science courses, especially within the discipline of coral reef biology and management.
• Ability to commit to continued effort to stay current in program area.
• Knowledge of College mission, policies, procedures and services.
• Strong student orientation and ability to work with a diverse student population.
• Proficient in use of technology.
• Ability to manage programs and resources effectively.
• Ability to plan, budget, and evaluate marine science program activities, including education and research.
• Ability to relate successfully to faculty, staff, students and the community.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
• Master's degree in Marine Science or related field or Master's degree in any field with 18 graduate semester hours of prefix specific coursework in field required (refer to course schedule and faculty qualifications guidelines online). Doctorate preferred.
• Three (3) years teaching experience at the community college level or higher is preferred.
• Three (3) years work experience in field is preferred.
• Understanding and commitment to Equal Access/Equal Opportunity.
• Experience with or willingness to develop distance-learning classes.
• Proven grant writing ability preferred.
• Demonstrated Marine Science research experience preferred. LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
• SCUBA certification required, AAUS preferred. ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
• Ability to be mobile and to present lectures and demonstrations.
• Ability to scuba dive.
• Works inside in an office environment, as well as occasional field work.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified individuals with a disability.)
Starting salary determination, contract lengths, level placement and instructional load can be found in the Annual Salary Schedule on the College's website (www.fkcc.edu).
Minimum Employment Consideration Requirements: Completed FKCC Application, including Cover Letter, Resume, Post-Secondary Transcripts (Unofficial and/or Copies Acceptable, but must be able to provide Official Transcripts within 30 days of employment).
Notice of Non-Discrimination
Florida Keys Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, sex, marital status, military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, religion, pregnancy, or disability in its programs, activities, or employment practices. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding the non-discrimination policies: Equity Officer: Kathleen Daniel, Director, Human Resources, (305) 809-3248 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Title IX Coordinator: Naomi Walsh, Assistant to the Vice President, Advancement, (305) 809-3198 or Naomi.email@example.com
Disability Services: Katie Norland, Director, Student Success Services, (305) 809-3181 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address: Florida Keys Community College, 5901 College Road, Key West, FL 33040
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
5901 College Road
Key West, FL 33040
FACULTY, MARINE SCIENCE - CORAL REEF BIOLOGY,
ECOLOGY, MANAGEMENT AND RESTORATION
Faculty, Marine Science - Coral Reef Biology, Ecology, Management and
Restoration Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Do you posses SCUBA Certification? (If please attach a copy of your certification as an
* 2. Briefly summarize your teaching and/or work experience related to coral reef biology,
ecology, assessment, management and/or restoration.
* Required Question