Marine Scientist located on a tropical Cambodian archipelago
The Marine Scientist role will be challenging but fulfilling. Combining aspects of people management, primary scientific research, conservation activities, project development and representation at key forums and meetings, the Marine Scientist will need to be professional, level headed and enthusiastic. They will need to be able to work under pressure and adapt as necessary to fulfill the requirements of the Foundation. Over a period of 12 – 24 months, the Marine Scientist role will quickly progress, presenting more and more opportunities for career development with the acquisition of diverse skills.
This is a minimum 12-month position, with the possibility of extension.
- Daily operation and coordination of the Foundation’s “Ocean Stewardship” programme.
- Delivery of a coral reef ecology course to visiting volunteers and interns.
- Daily organisation and operation of in-water scuba activities.
- Planning and implementation of experiential coastal & marine conservation projects (such as establishment of coral nurseries and artificial reefs)
- Data input following research scuba dives, and maintenance of the consequent dataset.
- Fundraising for science and research related activities, alongside the Project Manager and Executive Director.
- Representation of the Foundation at forums and meetings, as requested by senior management.
Volunteer coordination – The Foundation’s volunteer programme (named “Ocean Stewardship”) will be coordinated and led in field by the Marine Scientist, with financial and volunteer recruitment support by the Project Manager. This will be the most rewarding and important aspect of the Marine Scientist role.
Scientific research – The Foundation aims to be Cambodia’s central publishing body for all marine research. At present there is a paucity in marine science outputs, with no single organisation looking to take responsibility for the lack of data on the marine environment. With the ability to focus research on a number of different environmental focal points (primarily, coral reefs, mangroves, seagrasses and the inter-tidal), the Foundation will take ownership of this research deficiency. The Marine Scientist will oversee daily logistics and project development, with aid of the Project Manager, of the Foundation’s science and research programme. Foundation research will focus on the marine environment, but there will also be scope to develop social science and community research projects.
Biophysical marine surveys – The Marine Scientist will lead a team of students and volunteers on biophysical surveys. These surveys will be carried out at sites. The data from these surveys is passed directly to the Cambodian Fisheries Administration in accordance with their own objectives and the objectives outlined by project partners. The data will be used as a management tool to assess the success of the region’s Marine Fisheries Management Area, MFMA, (Cambodia’s colloquial term for a Marine Protected Area) around the Koh Rong archipelago.
Fundraising – Work with the Executive Director and the Project Manager to recognise and secure funding for the science programme.
Management – Provide oversight for reporting on funds expenditure and grant activities. This will include the monthly reconciliation of accounts as they relate to the science department. The Marine Scientist will also be expected to complete all additional grant reporting requirements as they relate to any funding utilised within their programme area.
Project development – With continual development of the Foundation, the Marine Scientist will be expected to develop future research projects alongside the Project Manager and Executive Director.
Foundation representation – The Marine Scientist will be expected to represent the Foundation at meetings, forums, workshops and conferences, as required.
Finance and budget – Assist the Project Manager with all budgetary needs, as requested. This includes the creation of monthly purchase requests and subsequent reconciliations for all conservation project expenses.
From time to time the Marine Scientist may be asked to undertake duties that are not included in this job description. They should agree to undertake these duties as long as the request is reasonable and will not affect their health, safety or security.
- PADI Divemaster (essential)
- PADI Instructor (highly desired)
- Reef Check Certified (highly desired)
- Reef Check Instructor (desired)
- Bachelors degree (minimum 2:1) in a science related discipline - preferably conservation or environmental focused (essential)
- At least 1 years’ expedition experience living in a remote region (desired)
- Basic financial management experience (desired)
- Conservation project management - preferably in a developing country (desired)
- A passion for the marine world and a commitment to making our oceans healthier (essential)
Salary & benefits:
- Monthly salary - $500 inclusive of taxes.
- All visa and work permits covered.
- Health Insurance Coverage under the current ‘Brocon Health Plan’ (effective upon commencement of employment.) with medical evacuation and inpatient treatment.
- Accommodation in Song Saa’s staff village (private room with shared bathroom – subject to availability).
- Access to the Song Saa staff boat, use of non-motorized sports equipment and discounted Spa treatments – subject to availability.
- Three meals per day in the staff canteen.
- Free Wi-Fi around the resort and ‘staff village’.
- Free laundry in the staff village – uniforms and personal.
- Access to the Song Saa doctor when based on the islands.
- A monthly sum of USD $10 will be provided for work related calls. A telephone is not provided.
Please send your CV and a covering letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) to our Project Manager on email@example.com. Your covering letter should clearly detail why you fit the responsibilities and candidate requirements for the role. Generic covering letters will not be reviewed. Only successful applicants will be contacted. Good luck!
Apply for Marine Scientist located on a tropical Cambodian archipelago
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly