Education Assistant (Voluntary Position)
One of MMF’s main departments is Education. The department works to inspire guardianship of Mozambique’s unique ocean, coastline and marine wildlife in local communities. We teach key life skills whilst also cultivating a love for the ocean through our programs which encompass marine conservation, water safety and swim training in primary and pre-schools as well as remote coastal communities. It is an honour for any educator to work closely with our ever-growing team of passionate and dedicated teachers and instructors. You will receive appropriate training as required and will play an important role in contributing to our cause, by being part of MMF’s operation.
● Be proficient in English and intermediate knowledge in Portuguese
● Good communication skills
● Experience teaching children and/or adults
● Passion and expertise in a specific area relevant to one/some of the following: Marine biology and conservation/ science/ physical education/ computer technology/ English as a second language/ swimming/ life saving
● Reliable and responsible
● Able to communicate with partners and to spread MMFs mission
● Attention to detail
● Maintain responsibility for his/her visas and medical insurance
● Makes evident good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly.
● Possesses great ability to identify potential negative or crisis situation and apply conflict
resolution principles to mitigate issues.
● Be comfortable in shared living arrangements with basic amenities
● Have an undergraduate degree; education, biology, or business background a plus
● Social Media experience
● Video editing
● Supporting ‘day to day’ running of all education program activities
● Reviewing Marine Conservation curriculum presentations and supporting material
● Maintain good working relationships with key stakeholders including school principals, teachers, administrators, sponsors, partners, national parks
● Providing capacity building for our coral club students
● Supporting team in the electronic filing of program registers and lesson feedback forms
● Reviewing the English curriculum material written so far
● Help the instructor to collect the relevant data needed on proposals, such as #students #schools available #population etc.
● Supporting team in their reflection of lesson delivery via observations
● Support with current and in developing new funding opportunities for the programme
● Supporting the Education Manager in the production of external communications material as appropriate
● Supporting team to create ocean themed interactive activities for use in pre-school and in the Saturday morning program
● Writing regular blog and social media posts
● Report to the Mozambique Education Manager
● Receive mentoring, support, and guidance on how to teach
● Work directly with the Education manager and furthermore work with exceptionally good Mozambican teachers
● Be part of building a world class educational curriculum focused on marine conservation and swimming
● Travel throughout Mozambique and learn Mozambican culture
● Accommodation in a shared room
● Make a difference!
● To be a positive role model for all students becoming ocean guardians
● Punctual, respectful, enthusiastic, reliable, pro-active, a good communicator, flexible and knowledgeable
● Act professionally and in respect of Mozambican customs
Monday-Friday 8am to 3pm and Saturday 8:30am-12:30 pm
The project requires you to commit for a minimum amount of 6 months and a trial period will apply. Candidates must also be able to provide their own laptop computers to work on. Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com