Alternative Livelihoods Project Manager (Voluntary Position)
The Marine Megafauna Foundation is working closely with local communities to inspire guardianship of Mozambique's unique ocean, coastline and marine wildlife through research, education and conservation.
MMF is embarking on an exciting stage of growth and we are looking for a truly driven, passionate and experienced Alternative Livelihoods Project Manager. He/she will be involved in the establishment of alternative livelihoods and vocational training opportunities for fishermen to reduce pressure on the ocean caused by indiscriminate fishing methods. He/she will be responsible for overseeing the alternative livelihoods project cycle, liaising with fishers and developing strategies for encouraging sustainable fishing. The project may include activities such as: responsible tourism, aquaculture, ranger training, pig rearing and development of a sustainable fish consumer guide. The role includes managing an Alternative Livelihoods Officer and providing mentoring support.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to work with our ever-growing team of passionate and dedicated staff. You will receive appropriate support as required and will play an important role in contributing to our cause, by being part of MMF's operation.
• Fluency in written and spoken English and strong communication skills
• University degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience in business start-up, conservation, community development or a closely related field
• Experience in project management and a good grasp of budgets and reporting
• Experience of managing staff (and/or volunteers)
• Experience working with local communities and/or on community development projects
• Able to work effectively across different cultures and as part of a team
• A strong negotiator able to manage different stakeholders with different interests
• Passionate self-starter able to take the initiative in a constantly changing environment
• Be comfortable in shared living arrangements with basic ameneties
● Fluency in Portuguese
● Experience living and working in Africa or other less developed country
● Experience in small business start-up or any of the activities mentioned above
• Strategy development
• Project management
• Staff management and capacity building
• Project finance management
• Other: Support MMF day to day activities such as conservation talks and events / Report to the Conservation Programme Manager
• Working directly with extremely inspiring Mozambican staff
• Receive mentoring, support and guidance
• Be part of building a flagship conservation programme
• Travel throughout Mozambique and learn Mozambican culture
• Accommodation in a shared room
• Make a difference!
The project requires you to commit for a minimum amount of 3 months and a trial period will apply. Candidates must also be able to provide their own laptop computers to work on. Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for Alternative Livelihoods Project Manager (Voluntary Position)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly