Creative Conservation Communicator
7 days left
- Salary Type
LOCATION: Punta Gorda Town, Toledo, Belize
LENGTH OF STAY: Minimum 6 month commitment (probation period 3 months)
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-time, with a typical workweek being Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm; occasionally early mornings, late evenings, and/or weekends are required
1.0 JOB DESCRIPTION
We’re looking for a passionate volunteer who wants to contribute to sustainable development and experience living abroad in Belize. Ya’axché is a fun, mission-driven place to work and we’re looking for like-minded volunteers to join our team!
Ya’axché Conservation Trust is a community-oriented NGO that couples conservation with sustainable development to advance integrated landscape management in southern Belize. The focal geographic area for Ya’axché’s activities, the Maya Golden Landscape (MGL), extends from the Maya Mountains to the Port Honduras Marine Reserve in the Caribbean Sea and forms part of the largest remaining contiguous areas of broadleaf forest in Central America. The MGL includes Ya’axché’s Golden Stream Corridor Preserve (GSCP, 15,441 acres) and the Bladen Nature Reserve (BNR, 100,000 acres) and Maya Mountain North Forest Reserve (MMNFR, 36,000 acres), both of which are co-managed by Ya’axché and the Belize Forest Department.
In addition to managing protected areas via Ya’axché’s Protected Areas Management Program, Ya’axché puts an equivalent focus on the livelihoods of the surrounding communities through education, sustainable livelihood initiatives and implementation of best practices. The Community Outreach & Livelihoods (COL) program seeks to increase environmental knowledge and address the socio-economic situation of the communities within and adjacent to the Maya Golden Landscape (MGL) by promoting cacao-based agroforestry and other better agricultural practices. The COL program contributes to building local capacity, environmental education, improving sustainable land use, and increasing financial stability.
1.2 OVERALL RESPONSIBILITIES
As Creative Conservation Communicator, you will ensure effective, consistent communication of Ya’axché’s vision, mission and associated activities to all stakeholders.
The Creative Conservation Communicator strives to maintain a professional image of the organization through consistent and high quality communication pieces.
1.3 SPECIFIC DUTIES
- Leading the development of Yaáxché’s social media content including that of Ya’axché Institute for Conservation Education (YICE)
- Preparing Yaáxché’s annual report, in liaison with all contributing authors
- Publishing and/or posting of high quality communication pieces to the public via the multiple mediums (newsletter, websites, newspapers, televisions, radio, etc.) including that of YICE
- Supporting (or leading where appropriate) the design and production of high quality and communication materials (i.e. reports, leaflet) for both Yaáxché and YICE
- Supporting (or leading where appropriate) the implementation of Yaáxché’s online fundraising campaigns
- Managing Yaáxché’s Membership Program
- Ensuring that all external communication materials follow the guidelines for graphic standards as set out in the Communication Strategy.
- Compiling critical information of Yaáxché work such as statistics, impact and historical information
1.4 EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working for conservation and/or development NGO’s
- Communication experience
- Degree in English, journalism, marketing, communication or related field
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Competent in using a digital SLR camera to take high quality photographs
1.5 PERSONAL SKILLS
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and planning skills
- The ability to work with a wide variety of individuals (including a multi-cultural in-house team) by using tact, diplomacy and flexibility, resolve conflict effectively
- Sensitivity to the needs of persons with low literacy and/or English as a Second Language (ESL) when creating written materials
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and allocate time effectively to meet internal and external deadlines
- Ability to operate as part of a team in a dynamic environment, as well as self-motivation, drive and enthusiasm to work under own initiative
- Ability to think strategically, logically and to apply common sense
- Dependable and reliable, with a positive attitude
- Meticulous attention to detail
1.7 BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING
This is a volunteer position with a stipend to cover basic living expenses. However, the volunteer will receive benefits including:
- Opportunity to work closely with dynamic, multi-cultural staff
- Appreciation for your dedication and hard work
- Adventure in a country with pristine ecosystems, world-class snorkelling, and SCUBA
- In-depth, interactive cultural experience unattainable by tourists
There are no program fees charged for this experience, but the volunteer is expected to arrange and pay for:
- Transportation to Punta Gorda, Belize, including airfare.
- Food, personal expenses, in-country travel, rent in Punta Gorda
- Passport, visa, sufficient personal medical insurance
Additional information is available in the Volunteer Guide including a break-down of the realistic cost of living in Belize. If you have any further questions we are happy to provide information on request.
1.7 HOW TO APPLY
To apply, send a copy of your CV (no more than 2 pages) and a one-page letter outlining your interest and suitability for the position. All documents should be emailed in .pdf format to christina.garcia(at)yaaxche.org. Deadline to submit applications is May 31st 2018.
Apply for Creative Conservation Communicator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly