Integrated Pest Management Intern
This internship supports the Presidio Trust’s Integrated Pest Management Program, dedicated to ensuring that pest management in Presidio landscapes and buildings is done in such a manner to maintain a healthy ecosystem and protect park visitors, residents, wildlife, water, and other natural resources. The intern will also help support the Presidio’s Native Plant Nursery, and Sustainability Program.
Length of Position: 6 months with the possibility of extension up to 10 months
Schedule: 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday schedule
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in insect and plant pathogen monitoring programs.
- Assist in field trials to evaluate least-toxic pest management methods.
- Lead, teach and motivate volunteers during weekly drop-in volunteer programs.
- Conduct and present an independent project - determined by program priorities and intern’s interest.
- Participate in ecological restoration.
- Participate in Presidio Trust public events and programs.
Stipend: $400 every two weeks
Transportation Benefit: $50 monthly parking permits for car owners or $50/month for non-car owners
Housing: Interns are provided a single occupancy (one person) room in dormitory-style housing in the Presidio with basic accommodations including a furnished private room, shared kitchen, and common areas. Interns must sign a housing contract, abide by the residential rules and contribute to the maintenance of the household. Interns must reside in the housing provided to be eligible for the internship. We cannot accept non-residential interns.
- Gain professional development in a team setting.
- Learn valuable skills in park management, sustainable practices, and community engagement.
- Develop leadership and public speaking skills.
- Attend a range of classes through the Park Academy.
- Great opportunity to live in a national park and work with staff and volunteers from diverse backgrounds who share a common interest in engaging the public and preserving the natural and cultural history of the Presidio.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least two references (include full name, title, phone number and email address), by email to Christa Conforti at firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF format is preferred but Microsoft Word versions are acceptable.