Director of Conservation Programs
The Natural Areas Conservancy (NAC) is a non-profit organization that was founded in 2012 to advance the restoration and conservation of natural areas for a resilient and healthy New York City. Working in partnership with the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (NYC Parks), we seek to ensure the high-quality management of NYC’s 20,000 acres of forests and wetlands. Our work includes conducting scientific research, restoring natural habitats, developing tools to inform data-driven management, and increasing awareness and opportunities for the public to experience NYC’s abundant nature and diverse ecology. We are poised to increase our scope and reach as a leading urban conservation organization. More information about our work is at naturalareasnyc.org.
The Natural Areas Conservancy is seeking a Director of Conservation Programs to lead the organization’s conservation programs including
- Provide leadership and vision for NAC’s urban conservation programs and initiatives, including advancing our applied science programs, web-based tools, and restoration and park improvement projects
- Supervise research and restoration staff
- Develop metrics for success
- Increase promotion and scope of NAC and urban conservation
- Serve as member of NAC executive team and develop and execute strategic organizational goals
- Advance existing high-level programs such as our Forest Management Framework, applied science, watershed plans, restoration projects, and fellowships and internships.
- Manage projects and staff, including supervising research and monitoring, GIS/Data management and natural area and park improvement programs.
- Develop and implement performance metrics framework.
- Develop internal and external communication documents and reports.
- Work closely with NYC Parks’ division of Natural Resources and their Urban Field Station on land management, monitoring, and applied research programs.
- Cooperate with researchers and outside institutions, including but not limited to, academic, non-profit, city, state, and federal agencies, on research projects and data dissemination/coordination.
- Represent the organization, NYC Parks, and City as appropriate.
- Manage and oversee budget, procurement, and administrative reporting, database management and tracking, and training.
- Expertise in a scientific field related to natural areas management, conservation, restoration ecology, conservation biology, water resource management, botany, landscape ecology, etc.
- Prior experience working in an urban area preferred.
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in managing projects.
- Proven track record of goals-based accomplishments.
- Personal connections within the NYC/Northeast scientific community.
- Experience communicating technical information for a diverse audience.
- Bachelors’ degree is required; Masters Degree is preferred.
- Excellent writing, communications, management, administrative, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Excel and PowerPoint. Familiarity with GIS, database management a plus.
- Knowledge of organizational development and/or government operations.
- Valid New York State driver license.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume with the position title to:
Apply for Director of Conservation Programs
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly