The Institute for Regional Conservation (IRC) seeks a Chief Executive (CE) to implement policies and programs and provide critical leadership to advance IRC’s mission and long-term vision. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, staff members, volunteers and partners to design, implement and curate innovative science-based conservation programs in Florida, the Caribbean and beyond. Based at IRC's office in Delray Beach, FL, the CE will oversee a staff of 10-15 and an annual budget of more than $500,000 derived from agency contracts, grants and other fundraising. A passion for biodiversity conservation, familiarity with technical aspects of ecological restoration, and the ability to develop collaborative relationships with government agencies, conservation groups and academia are desirable characteristics for the successful applicant.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with at least 10 years of professional experience. Additional education and experience a plus.
- Experience managing a nonprofit, other small organization, or program with a small, diverse staff. Proven ability to develop and concurrently manage a wide variety of ongoing projects or various sizes and complexity.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills with the ability to listen effectively and to tactfully present information to colleagues and stakeholders. Significant public speaking experience, to both technical and general audiences.
- Good writing skills with the ability to develop grant applications, interim and final reports, technical papers, articles, social media posts, and other documents as needed.
- Working knowledge of ecosystems, flora, and/or fauna in Florida or elsewhere. Experience with vegetation and/or animal monitoring, evaluating results, and packaging findings for multiple scientific, technical and public audiences.
- Working knowledge of common conservation lands management practices, including prescribed fire, invasive species control techniques and rare species management. Hands-on experience restoring native ecosystems affected by a range of disturbances and land-use histories.
- Proficiency with all or many of the following: Microsoft Office Suite, QuickBooks or other accounting software, SQL or Microsoft Access, ArcGIS and field GPS units, Adobe Dreamweaver or other HTML editing programs, Adobe Acrobat and other Adobe products.
- Good physical condition, including the ability to work long hours in varying outdoor conditions as required to carry out duties. Must not be deterred by heat, ticks, bugs, snakes, etc.
- A willingness to travel overnight among project sites in Florida, the Caribbean and beyond.
Chief Executive Responsibilities
- Management: (50%): Manage and coordinate staff. Ensure compliance with grant/contract requirements. Oversee deadlines. Evaluate project performance.
- Grant Writing/Fundraising: (15%): Work with federal and state funding agencies to secure programmatic funding. Conduct searches for appropriate grants, write LOIs, respond to RFPs and submit full proposals to help secure revenue for each of IRCs programs. Cultivate individual donors, both small and major.
- Administration & Finance: (10%): Coordinate with administrative staff daily. Complete project-related paperwork, including invoices, in a timely manner. Develop annual and quarterly budgets and financial actuals for the Board. Prepare program and major project income and expense reports.
- Outreach: (5%): Prepare and deliver key presentations to promote IRC and its mission.
- Project Leader: (20%): Conceive, design and implement projects consistent with IRC’s programs and mission. Participate as a team member on projects, train staff, collect data and directly contribute to IRC’s body of knowledge.
- Full-time position with salary commensurate with experience and responsibilities.
- Benefits package including holidays, health insurance, and vacation time.
- Simple IRA retirement plan with matched contributions.
- Please include a cover letter including a brief statement of qualifications.
- Resume or CV, emphasizing relevant experience.
- Contact information for three to five professional references.
- A writing sample addressing a topic related to the position.
- Email all files in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application deadline is March 1, 2018. Desired start date: May 1, 2018.
Apply for Chief Executive
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly