Assistant/Associate Professor of Plant Biology
About Unity College:
For over fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to successfully face real-world challenges. We believe that we should serve a broad range of students from all backgrounds across the U.S. and the world. To be responsive to the rapidly changing needs of students and society, Unity College has adopted an enterprise model as its institutional organization, expanding the college into two distinct units that offer both undergraduate and graduate environmental degrees: flagship campus and distance education.
On our flagship campus, our liberal arts curriculum is built upon a unique framework of sustainability science the first of its kind in the nation. A distinctive approach to learning provides our students with an exceptional, high-quality education, enabling them to drive real change with leading-edge knowledge and expertise within any of our 17 environmentally focused majors. Our unique location provides extraordinary opportunities for hands-on learning and research, and active and engaged students work together with forward-thinking faculty to make true community-based learning possible. From 225 wooded acres of farmland overlooking Unity Pond in the tranquil village of Unity, Maine, we prepare each of our students to make a mark on the world.
Our distance education unit, started in 2016, extends the effects of a Unity College education to adult learners, and beyond the physical confines of the flagship campus. Unity College Online offers affordable, accredited master's degrees and non-degree credits, ideal for working professionals seeking to advance their careers, helping students become the change maker the world needs while still honoring their commitments, wherever they are.
This position will support instruction and disciplinary expertise in Plant Biology at Unity College. Teaching includes 21 course credits annually, consisting of a combination of Biology of Plants, Systematic Botany, Diversity of Life, Population and Community Ecology and/or other classes as assigned. Other duties include advising, scholarship, professional development, and service to the College. This position will support the delivery of the Unity College curriculum, plus support and mentor students both inside and outside the classroom. Specific duties include (but are not all inclusive):
- Teaching introductory and advanced classes such as Diversity of Life, Population and Community Ecology, Systematic Botany, and Biology of Plants as assigned.
- Advising and mentoring undergraduate students that are intent on pursuing careers in Biology, Marine Biology, Wildlife Biology, Wildlife and Fisheries Management or other related fields.
- Contribute to faculty service needs as assigned, by serving on campus committees as appropriate given position responsibilities.
- Contribute to the College's commitment to sustainability.
- Administer content and materials using student-focused experiential education practices.
- Contribute to faculty service needs as assigned.
- Serve on campus committees as appropriate given position responsibilities.
- Follow the college's standards of conduct.
The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D degree in plant biology, biology, ecology, or related field. Other requirements include:
- Broadly trained plant biologist.
- Previous teaching experience at the college level.
- Experience involving undergraduate students in research.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, facility with technical terminology appropriate to the position.
- Ability to teach and/or develop classes such as ecological statistics, mycology, marine botany and plant physiology.
- Ability to conduct high-impact research
- Proven track record of scholarly activity
- Quantitative expertise
Unity College seeks to attract world-class faculty to enrich the educational experience of our gifted, inquisitive and motivated students. Unity College is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty dedicated to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We are especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching and/or service.
This position begins in August 2018 for the 2018-2019 Academic year; Primarily works day shift with occasional evening and weekend hours as determined by course schedule and service needs. Must have a valid driver's license and good driving record.
Interested and qualified candidates should go to www.unity.edu/jobs to submit a Cover Letter, CV, teaching philosophy and research interest statement as well as contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin January 12, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. We look forward to hearing from you!