Avian specialist Biologist
Ecology and Environment, Inc. is seeking one or more temporary (on-call) Avian Specialists/Biologists (reporting to Buffalo, NY office) to work on avian surveys in western and central New York and possibly elsewhere. This position will be responsible for performing raptor/eagle and breeding bird surveys using a range of bird sampling techniques including visual/auditory identification. Our successful candidate must have a good understanding of avian surveys and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Conduct avian surveys in western NY, central NY, and possibly elsewhere
- Conduct raptor/eagle, breeding bird surveys, and possibly other bird surveys
- Compiling and processing data
- Provide support, if necessary, for wetland delineations, bat field surveys, plant and habitat surveys, and vegetation characterizations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Environmental Science or a closely related discipline preferred but not required
- Six months to three years of field experience conducting avian surveys and recording point count and/or transect data
- Strong visual/auditory bird identification skills (must be able to identify birds by their call/songs) and familiarity with regional avian populations and survey protocol
- Other field skills such as wetland delineations, bat field surveys, plant and habitat surveys, and vegetation characterizations an asset, but not required
- Ability to walk for several miles and work in extreme temperatures and rough terrain in remote locations
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and ability to work independently and within a team setting
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with iPAD and/or Trimble hand-held GPS units preferred
- Preference for individuals with CPR/First Aid Training
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel to project sites
We are a global network of innovators and problem solvers, dedicated professionals and industry leaders in scientific, engineering, and planning disciplines working together with our clients to develop technically sound, science-based solutions to the leading environmental challenges of our time. E & E offers opportunities for growth in a team-oriented environment. Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.; Visa sponsorship will not be provided. Please view our website at www.ene.com to apply on-line.
Ecology and Environment, Inc. is an EO and AA employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled/and other protected categories.