Area Cooperative Extension Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Advisor Recruitment
POSITION PURPOSE: The Area Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Advisor for Entomology will conduct a multi-county extension, education and applied research program that addresses grower and industry needs, including an understanding of local agricultural crops, their farming systems, and their arthropod pests, including insect-vectored diseases in Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz Counties. Primary crops include cool-season vegetables such as lettuce, and spring mix, broccoli, spinach, celery, and cauliflower, as well as strawberries, caneberries, grapes, ornamental plant production and many specialty crops. The Cooperative Extension (CE) IPM Advisor holds a pivotal role in initiating, contributing to and developing management strategies for invasive invertebrate species and new or exotic insect pests.
- Develop and implement effective UC ANR Cooperative Extension applied research and educational programs to address the identified priority needs of the clientele that are consistent with ANR’s Strategic Vision and ANR initiatives http://ucanr.edu/sites/StrategicInitiatives/.
- Conduct and report regular comprehensive needs assessments to identify priority issues or problems relevant to the local clientele groups being served.
- Conduct applied research designed to solve locally relevant problems and monitor change.
- Disseminate useful, science-based information to inform clientele, using extension methods that are responsive to clientele needs and appropriate for the audience and situation.
- Maintain and promote UC ANR CE’s credibility and visibility by participating in professional organizations and collaborating with government agencies, commodity groups, allied industry groups, and other organizations by providing independent science-based information and leadership.
- Evaluate programs and report accomplishments, results, and potential or actual impacts to scientific and lay audiences through a variety of outreach methods.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A minimum of an earned master's degree, though other advanced degrees are encouraged, in disciplines such as entomology, pest management, or other closely related field is required by the appointment start date. A broad understanding of integrated pest management principles, including knowledge of crop production, cultural and biological controls, and pesticide use is required. Quantitative skills and knowledge of, and experience using, statistical analysis and experimental designs are required. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills are required. Demonstrated ability in applied research and extension is preferred. Practical field experience in entomology pest management is preferred. The CE advisor must possess or obtain a Qualified Pesticide Applicator Certificate (QAC) or License prior to applying or supervising the application of any pesticide.
SALARY: Beginning salary will be in the Cooperative Extension Assistant Advisor Rank, and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding Cooperative Extension Advisor salary scales, please refer to the University of California, ANR website: http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/271532.pdf. If the successful candidate is currently a UCCE academic with indefinite status, the candidate will be offered the position commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications with eligibility to retain such indefinite status.
TO APPLY: For full position vacancy announcement and UC application, please visit our website at http://ucanr.edu/Jobs/Jobs_990/. For full consideration, application packets should be submitted in their entirety no later than December 29, 2017 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to position AP#17-24. For questions regarding this position, please contact LeChé McGill at email@example.com
Apply for Area Cooperative Extension Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Advisor Recruitment
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly