Director of Development
Position Announcement: Director of Development
How to Apply: Email your resume and cover letter to Miriam Hernandez (firstname.lastname@example.org); Please put “Director of Development Application” in the “Subject” line.
Closing Date: 10 April 2018
The Society for Conservation Biology (SCB) is an international non-profit (501c-3) professional organization of more than 4,000 individuals (scientists, resource managers, educators, government and private conservation practitioners, and students) dedicated to advancing the science and practice of conserving the Earth’s biological diversity. More information about SCB can be found on the SCB website www.conbio.org.
SCB is currently seeking a Director of Development who will be responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all SCB advancement and development efforts. The successful candidate will be responsible for building a strong development plan for SCB and its programs, growing the SCB membership, creating fundraising campaigns, cultivating current and prospective donors, and implementing the fundraising database and tracking systems.
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director. Responsibilities include, but are not exclusive to the following:
- Build and execute a development strategy, including timelines, measurable objectives, and benchmarks, which diversify revenue streams and increase net revenues that support SCB’s strategic plan. Areas of focus will include, but not limited to:
- Identifying prospective national and international foundation, organization, and corporate donors and cultivating those relationships;
- Growing a major gifting program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of individual donors;
- Building a planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies;
- Directing capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives and special events.
- Board engagement;
- Developing an Advisory Council and a Development Committee;
- Building internal capacity;
- Oversight, tracking, and coordination of development and fundraising requests made within the SCB Community.
- Develop policies and procedures for the development department which reflect ethical and socially responsible fundraising practices.
- Develop an annual development department budget and prepare/present regular progress reports (including dashboard metrics) to the Executive Director and Board of Governors.
- Manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure objectives and critical fundraising processes are carried out in a timely manner.
- Work closely with the Director of Membership and Communications to develop and initiate an annual membership recruitment and retention campaign.
- Work closely with the Director of Conferences and Events and Director of Membership and Communications to meet ICCB revenue goals.
- Collaborate with interdepartmental staff on the management, planning and communications about of advancement strategies.
- Oversee creation of publications and marketing collateral to support fund raising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs and ensure timely and accurate report deliveries to funders.
- Implement and administer a donor mailing list and fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization.
- Achieve, at a minimum, annual benchmarks with planned and actualized increased performance thereafter.
The Director of Development should demonstrate competence in the following:
- Creativity: Develop new and unique ways to improve the finances of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Ethics: Understand that a plethora of socially ethical behaviors and business practices exist across the global SCB community and ensure that development activities are consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organization.
- Customer Centric: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors in a manner that exceeds their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Team Player: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Leadership: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Decision Making: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Passion for conservation and for protecting and restoring the environment.
- BA (required), MA (a plus).
- Five+ (5+) years of successful development experience with a non-profit environmental organization(s).
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and secure international high net worth individual, foundation, organization, government, and corporate donors for a nonprofit society or professional organization.
- Successful grant writing experience.
- Demonstrated skill in volunteer management.
- Demonstrated ability to think globally and work within a community that has broad international representation with a wide variety of languages and customs.
- Demonstrated excellence in project management, organizational, managerial, and communication skills.
- Ability to work both as a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Linguistic skills beyond English a plus.
- Some travel required.
Commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
Apply for Director of Development
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly