Director of Conferences and Events
Position Announcement: Director of Conferences and Events
How to Apply: Email your resume and cover letter to Miriam Hernandez (email@example.com); Please put “Director of Conferences and Events Application” in the “Subject” line.
Close Date: 10 April 2018
The Society for Conservation Biology (SCB) is an international non-profit (501c-3) professional organization of more than 4,000 individuals (Scientists, resource managers, educators, government and private conservation practitioners, and students) dedicated to advancing the science and practice of conserving the Earth’s biological diversity. More information about SCB can be found on the SCB website www.conbio.org.
SCB is currently seeking a Director of Conferences and Events who will be responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all SCB meetings, special events and International congresses as well as for working in coordination with SCB’s seven regional sections to support and advance their biennial meetings.
The Director of Conferences and Events reports to the Executive Director. Responsibilities include, but are not exclusive to the following:
- Develop and execute a conference and event strategy, including measurable objectives, tactics and project plans, that supports and advances SCB’s strategic plan.
- Refine and improve policies and procedures for the conference and event department which reflect ethical and socially responsible practices and position SCB as a leader in Sustainable Events.
- Develop an annual conference and events department budget and prepare/present regular progress reports (including dashboard metrics) to the Executive Director and Board of Governors.
- Manage milestones and timelines for various conference/meeting/event activities to ensure objectives and critical operational, communication, and fundraising processes are carried out in a timely manner.
- Working in conjunction with a meeting management company, direct overall management of SCB’s biennial International Congress for Conservation Biology (ICCB), including but not limited to:
- Site selection and contract negotiations for accommodations, catering, transportation, audio/visual equipment, entertainment and other amenities;
- Program development and coordination with the SCB Conference Committee and the ICCB Steering Committee;
- Working in coordination with the Equity, Inclusion and Diversity (EID) Committee to advance EID in all planning and programming;
- Stewarding and managing volunteers;
- Attendee registration;
- Ensuring compliance with applicable regulations and laws in the country of the venue and event security;
- Budget management, billing, reimbursements and payables;
- Advancing the conference participant and volunteer recognition program.
- Work closely with the Director of Development to secure and grow event sponsors and exhibitors annually.
- Work closely with the Director of Development and Director of Membership and Communications to meet event attendance goals.
- Provide managerial and logistical support for SCB’s seven Sections as they plan their biennial meetings, including but not limited to developing processes and protocols that will provide consistency and efficiency amongst Sections where appropriate, reviewing conference budgets and net revenue projections, reviewing venue and other contracts, maintaining consistent communications with and between Sections.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to identify venues, develop agendas, negotiate accommodation, catering, transportation, audio/visual equipment, entertainment and other related contracts, and manage all aspects of SCB meetings including Board of Governors meetings.
- Work closely with the Director of Development and Director of Membership and Communications to create and promote marketing collateral to increase awareness of conferences and special events.
- Work closely with the Director of Development to develop and initiate fundraising events that will support SCB’s Strategic Plan.
- Grow SCB’s conference/meeting/event sponsorship program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of foundation, organization, and corporate sponsors; develop a sponsorship recognition program and assure timely responses to sponsors.
- Collaborate with interdepartmental staff on the management, planning and communications about all conferences, meetings and special events.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders and make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to advance the mission and goals of the organization.
The Director of Conferences and Events should demonstrate competence in the following:
- Leadership: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Creativity: Develop new and unique ways to create new opportunities to meet member needs at, and increase net revenues from, conferences and special events.
- Ethics: Understand that a plethora of socially ethical behaviors and business practices exist across the global SCB community and ensure that conference, meeting and special event activities are consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organization.
- Sponsor Management: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of sponsors and exhibitors in a manner that exceeds their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Supplier Management: Work cooperatively and effectively with suppliers and partners to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Decisiveness: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Financial Management: Prepare and monitor project budget, monitoring cash flow and final accounting of project revenues and expenses.
- Passion for conservation and for protecting and restoring the environment.
- BA (required), MA (a plus).
- Five+ (5+) years of successful international conference and event planning experience with a non-profit environmental organization(s).
- Demonstrated excellence in project management, organizational, managerial, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and secure sponsors and exhibitors.
- Demonstrated skill in volunteer management.
- Demonstrated ability to think globally and work within a community that has broad international representation with a wide variety of languages and customs.
- Ability to work both as a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Linguistic skills beyond English a plus.
- Experience in website maintenance a plus.
- International travel required.
Commensurate with experience and other qualifications.