Technical Advisor – PA Management Capacity Building
Background: The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) Myanmar Program is currently implementing the GEF funded Strengthening Sustainability of Protected Area Management in Myanmar project. This project has a major focus on capacity building for Protected Area Management with the Forest Department in the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Conservation. In particular building the capacity of Protected Area staff from the Nature and Wildlife Conservation Division, using systems managed by the Education and Research Division, including the Myanmar Forestry School, and the University of Forestry. These capacity building activities focus on increasing Myanmar staff capacity to reach the Global Protected Area Management Competencies as outlined by IUCN, especially at the Ranger and Warden levels.
Technical Advisor – PA Management Capacity Building: The primary objective of the position is to expand and implement the PA Management Capacity Building Roadmap in relation to developing new curricula and organizing a logical training framework to build PA management competencies for existing staff through existing training institutions (Myanmar Forestry School and University of Forestry) to increase their ability to provide necessary protected area and environmental trainings. The position will also support the internal capacity building needs of the GEF project team. The position reports to the WCS Myanmar Country Program Director.
- Review, revise and implement the PA Management Capacity Building Roadmap.
- Design and develop (in collaboration with WCS and current trainers), a new Ranger Training Course to be taught at Myanmar Forestry School (MFS) that will include ability to train Level 1 competences and proficiency of all Level 2 competences.
- Conduct training of trainers for NWCD staff and faculty at MFS to teach the Ranger Training Course and through focused training of in-service rangers.
- Provide technical support to the University of Forestry in relation to their expanding program on Environmental Conservation, including developing short term training courses and contributing to curriculum development.
- Identify training and capacity building needs among GEF project staff and counterparts through an audit process, and design and manage a program to address these needs.
- With GEF project staff and counterparts, identify opportunities for publishing results of work and provide technical assistance through the process of publication.
- Coordinate and contribute to donor reporting and budget management as required.
- Other project related tasks as assigned by your supervisor.
Skills and Experience required:
- A master’s degree or PhD in biological sciences, conservation or education and relevant experience working overseas in an NGO setting.
- Experience with training rangers and protected area managers based on the IUCN Global Competencies.
- Experience supervising and mentoring trainees/students in protected area management, ideally those who speak English as a second language.
- Experience in working with government and/or university partners.
- Well-developed written and oral communications skills in English. Spoken ability in Myanmar would be an advantage.
Schedule and Compensation: The position is based in Yangon or Naypyidaw, Myanmar. The contract is for 12 months with possibility of extension, salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, should apply by emailing an application letter and CV to: email@example.com. Please include “Myanmar PA Tech Advisor” in the subject line of your email. Candidates must also apply online via the WCS career portal at: http://www.wcs.org/about-us/careers.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Apply for Technical Advisor – PA Management Capacity Building
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly