Senior Conservation Planner
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Senior Conservation Planner (Sr Cons Planner) develops, conducts, and manages conservation planning and other relevant projects as part of a collaborative team of internal staff and external partners. The position acts as the lead or supports the Department Director in managing projects. The position conducts all facets of project work and contributes methodology, training, and support for NatureServe Vista, a conservation planning software. The position reports to the Director of Conservation Planning.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Develop new projects through outreach activities, response to RFPs and inquiries, and consulting with other staff of NatureServe. Conduct conservation planning projects by applying knowledge of conservation biology and systematic conservation planning principles and tools. Act as primary manager of project schedules, budgets, and coordinate other staff in production of deliverables. Maintain client contact and relationships. Contribute to the NatureServe Vista Program through delivery of training, tech support, and methodology development. These essential job functions are not meant to be all-inclusive and may be subject to change at any time.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduate degree in relevant discipline (e.g., Wildlife Conservation and Management, Environmental planning, Conservation Biology, Ecology) or equivalent level of education and experience
- Minimum four years of professional experience in lead role developing conservation planning methods and frameworks and applying conservation biology to conservation assessment, prioritization, and planning at a variety of scales and complexity
- Minimum three years of experience in project management (at least two years as lead project manager): developing and managing budgets and schedules, directing staff and consultants, interacting with clients, and developing deliverables
- Ability to develop, lead, and coordinate working groups in support of conservation planning projects
- Experience in meeting facilitation with resource professionals and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to independently apply spatial analyses concepts to conservation planning/modeling applications in ArcGIS
- Understanding of current concepts in wildlife connectivity and climate change assessment and adaptation planning
- Ability to set and shift priorities and efficiently manage and conduct multiple projects/activities concurrently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to conduct frequent domestic and international travel
- PhD in relevant field with track record of publication and research
- Experienced with conservation planning software especially NatureServe Vista and Marxan. Experience with species distribution and connectivity modeling and ecosystem services modeling software also highly desirable.
- Advanced GIS and modeling skills
- Deep experience, understanding, and contacts in one or more priority sectors/topics including marine conservation planning, energy planning, land use/infrastructure planning and mitigation, US public lands management, and international conservation/development planning.
- Fluency in Spanish and conversant in scientific and technical application of the language.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to travel independently and attend meetings with partners and the public.
- Ability to converse verbally and in writing with others regarding organizational goals and needs
- Ability to use organizational technology and phone systems
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER VETERANS/DISABLED