The Society for Conservation Biology (SCB) is an international professional organization of more than 4,000 individuals (resource managers, educators, government and private conservation workers, and students) dedicated to advancing the science and practice of conserving the Earth’s biological diversity. More information about SCB can be found on the SCB website www.conbio.org.
This Program Assistant position will support the SCB membership and SCB communications. Member service functions include responding to member inquires and needs; managing membership recruitment, retention, processing, and reporting procedures; and administering the membership database through consistent data entry, maintenance of data integrity, and development of queries and data analyses. Communication functions include providing current information to the SCB community through maintenance of SCB’s website, digital media platforms, and intranet materials.
This position requires attention to detail, initiative, strong customer service instincts, the ability to work collaboratively, and the drive to establish and maintain strong relationships with SCB members. The individual working in this position will be provided opportunities to hone a number of critical skills, contribute in a meaningful way to a leading conservation organization, learn in a nurturing environment, and network with leaders in the conservation field.
The Program Assistant reports to the Membership & Communications Manager. Responsibilities include, but are not exclusive to the following.
General Membership and Customer Service
- Provide excellent customer service and respond thoughtfully to inquiries and requests.
- Perform administrative tasks related to membership processing, recruitment, retention and reporting.
- Access, enter and update records in SCB's membership database and maintain data integrity.
- Track relevant committee assignments and other member participation and engagement activities.
- Produce monthly membership reports and metrics.
- Assist in the production and compilation of membership packets and resources.
- Respond to member email, phone and print correspondence by answering questions: password requests, record updates, lost publications, gift subscriptions, assistance with special membership system features.
- Perform monthly reconciliation reports to ensure membership dues reflect account statements.
- File publications claims.
- Manage student and other SCB awards.
- Assist SCB Groups with leadership elections.
- Support marketing and communication outreach and promote SCB membership and associated professional development opportunities.
- Provide consistent content to SCB's digital social media platforms .
- Update and maintain SCB’s website and intranet content, to assure that information remains current and relevant.
- Assist in execution of marketing plans and creation of marketing materials.
- Liaise with SCB Groups to garner contributions to SCB's newsletter, website, and social media platforms.
Working Conditions/Physical Effort
- Work requires minor physical exertion and/or strain.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with membership organizations / communications / community outreach preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to respond tactfully in all situations.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with database queries and/or research and data collection skills a must. Knowledge of iMIS 20 a plus.
- Proficiency with Expression Engine or other content management systems.
- Proficiency with posting to social media platforms.
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as independently, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work with a wide range of people.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Must be self-motivated, highly organized, and able to set and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite software a plus.
- Salary dependent on experience.
- Opportunities for training in membership and database management.
The Society for Conservation Biology is an Equal Opportunity Employer