Laguna Canyon Foundation is a nonprofit organization established in 1989 that is dedicated to preserving, protecting, and enhancing the South Coast Wilderness, a 22,000-acre network of Open Space surrounding Laguna Beach in Orange County, California.
Originally founded to facilitate the transfer of land from private to public ownership so that its open space values could be protected in perpetuity, Laguna Canyon Foundation had evolved from a land acquisition organization to also engaging in education, public programming, assisting the Parks with trail maintenance, and conducting habitat restoration projects in and around the South Coast Wilderness.
The Restoration Program is currently engaged in over a dozen different projects ranging from habitat mitigation to weed management to rare plant protection to fuel modification.
This position performs duties supporting these projects including but not limited to: native plant seed collection, native plant propagation and installation, irrigation installation and maintenance, qualitative and quantitative monitoring of restoration sites, mechanical and chemical weed control, and GIS mapping. This position is primarily field based and requires extensive physical labor in adverse conditions and difficult terrain, including but not limited to working with pesticide, hand weeding, digging, bending, kneeling, and hauling heavy, awkward materials and equipment. The ideal candidate will have experience working on habitat restoration projects, be a strong problem solver who is comfortable using an adaptive work management style, have a proven track record working both independently and as a team member and be dependable, self-motivated and have a positive attitude.
The Restoration Technician will work closely with both the Restoration Director and Restoration Coordinator, other Laguna Canyon Foundation staff, landowners and partners to implement both small scale and landscape level habitat restoration projects.
- Conduct field work in support of new and ongoing habitat restoration projects, including:
- Obtaining, propagating and installing plant propagules
- Identify and manage non-native plant populations through a combination of herbicide application, hand-pulling, mowing and mulching
- Install, monitor and maintain irrigation systems
- Make monthly and quarterly site observations
- Assist with annual vegetation monitoring and photo documentation
- Other tasks as assigned
- One year experience in gardening, landscaping, plant nurseries or related field
- Knowledge of or ability to learn and identify local native and non-native plants
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently both independently and as a productive team member
- Access to a reliable vehicle, valid driver’s license and required insurance coverage, and willingness to use vehicle for work purposes (mileage reimbursement available)
- Experience performing physically demanding labor in adverse climatic conditions and difficult terrain
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, time management skills and organizational abilities
- Ability and willingness to work regular weekend hours and evening hours as necessary
- Passionate about Laguna Canyon Foundation’s mission
The Ideal Candidate may also have:
- Experience with herbicide application in restoration setting
- Experience using handheld power tools (e.g., weed trimmers, brush cutters, chainsaws)
- Experience in implementing habitat restoration projects
- Experience leading field-based volunteer events
- Highly-motivated and a proven self-starter with the ability to work independently
The person in this position:
- Constantly works in outdoors in a wide range of weather conditions.
- Constantly traverses off-trail over rough terrain and steep slopes, sometimes through thick vegetation.
- Frequently lifts and carries loads up to 25 pounds and occasionally lifts loads up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently positions self close to the ground to pull weeds, fix irrigation lines, etc.
- Frequently grips and manipulates hand tools such as shovels, picks, loppers, wrenches, hammers, etc.
- Constantly exchanges information both verbally and in written form with supervisor, co-workers, and others.
- Remains in a stationary position for up to 30% of the time.
Salary and Benefits:
- This position will start at an hourly rate of $14-16 per hour depending on experience.
- We are currently waiting on funding to come through for two large grants, which we expect to happen in the next 3 to 6 months. Until then, 40 hours per week are expected but not guaranteed. Once funding is in place we expect this to become a full-time, salaried position with benefits.
- Some evenings and weekends are required.
- There is potential for advancement as program grows.
Apply for Restoration Technician
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly