Columbia Basin Plant Ecologist
2 days left
- Salary Type
The Columbia Basin Plant Ecologist is a member of a team that implements and documents conservation actions on high priority conservation lands in north-central Oregon, including maintenance, management, and restoration activities. This is a 1-year term position ending approximately October 2018.
The Columbia Basin Plant Ecologist will assist with all phases of on-going restoration work (including planning, implementation, and effectiveness monitoring) and non-native plant species control in grassland and shrub-steppe plant communities in north-central Oregon. The Plant Ecologist leads work teams and supervises staff to meet conservation objectives: implements preserve management plans, maps and monitors plant communities, removes exotic species, assists with wildlife monitoring, maintains tools and facilities, operates and maintains equipment, and maintains preserve areas frequented by the visiting public.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- May supervise seasonal staff with responsibility for performance management, training and development.
- May lead or monitor work groups consisting of staff, interns, and volunteers covering a wide geographic area.
- Financial responsibility includes working within/managing a budget to complete projects, negotiating and contracting with vendors, and assisting with budget development.
- Networks with diverse groups, including land owners, conservation partners, government officials, donors, board members and the general public to recruit support for and publicize the Conservancy.
- Works under minimal and distant supervision; must make independent decisions based on experience and judgments.
- Often works in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Travel often involves driving on narrow, hazardous gravel or dirt roads.
- Frequent regional travel around and between work sites for multiple days averaging 25-30% on a year-round basis and possibly on short notice.
- Will require occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- BA/BS/AS/Technical or vocational degree in science-related field and 1 year related experience in custodial and ecological land management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in field research, data collection, summary techniques and use of botanical keys.
- Experience with common software applications (Word, Excel, Web browsers).
- Experience with database management, including data entry and report production.
- Experience with GPS and GIS.
- Knowledge of natural systems.
- Experience in ecological land management principles.
- Experience supervising staff or volunteers.
- Ability to hike on uneven or steep terrain 5-8 miles per day, often while carrying loads up to 30 pounds.
- Experience operating and/or repairing various types of equipment and machinery.
- Ability to obtain related licenses or certifications such as red card, first aid, CPR, herbicide application.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross cultural experience appreciated.
- 1-2 years related experience in ecological land management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with grassland and shrub-steppe flora of the Intermountain West.
- Experience designing, implementing, and interpreting results of restoration monitoring
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation.
- Ability to cultivate creative ideas to improve conservation strategies
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and organizational priorities
- Ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 8:59 PM Pacific Time on 8/23/2017. If you experience technical problems with the site or application process, please contact email@example.com and include the job opening ID.