Volunteer Bat Biologist
Fieldlife Environmental Consultants & Ecological Services is supporting the EARTHQUEST Biological Field School for this project. Bat survey work with volunteers will focus on projects in southern Ontario.
Who is this opportunity most suited for?
This position is open to all, but preference will be given to beginners who need the experience. For those who do not have the bat survey and identification skills necessary to participate we highly recommend taking the new bat survey and ID course from EARTHQUEST, scheduled to run July 22 - 24, 2017. Please visit their website for details:
Roles and Duties:
The role and duties of this unique volunteer opportunity includes:
• Assisting staff with bat surveys in search of Ontario Species at Risk;
• Learning intimately about the ecology and behavior of bats and following provincial standards to survey them within their habitat;
Qualifications of candidates:
•Comfortable working in all weather conditions;
•Enthusiastic with a sense of humor;
•Comfortable hiking and working in small groups;
•Able to work independently and as part of a team;
• A strong communicator with ability to take notes and photographs;
•A desire to enroll in a bat survey & ID course;
• Experience or interest in pursuing bat biology or a career in the environmental field;
• Experience working outdoors;
• Previous volunteer experience
Volunteer work takes place primarily over weekend dates, not including statuatory holidays. Volunteer Bat Biologists are asked to commit to volunteering a minimum of once per month from June – October, 2017.
We can only accept a limited number of volunteers for this opportunity. All applicants must complete the following steps to be considered for this unique program:
*Attend an interview with EARTHQUEST staff;
To be considered please submit a letter telling us why you wish to join this program, your qualifications, commitment to receiving training from experienced professionals, desire to take the bat survey & ID course along with your resume and three references.