Rwanda Country Director
Start Date June 15, 2017
Based Kigali, Rwanda
with frequent travel in Rwanda, Central, East and Southern Africa, and to WCS Global Conservation Program Headquarters in New York.
Reports to WCS East and Southern Africa Regional Director
To effectively lead and manage the WCS Rwanda Country Program, based in the capital Kigali. The primary focus of the Country Program is to work in partnership with the Rwanda Government to protect globally significant biodiversity and the critical natural resource base within and outside of protected areas. This includes a diverse set of actions that span from directly supporting the management of Nyungwe National Park as a cornerstone of WCS’s historical engagement in Rwanda, to helping the Rwanda government accomplish its goal of achieving green, sustainable development by 2050. Additional priorities include insuring close collaboration with the Rwanda Government to support their new initiatives, connecting them with new WCS-launched initiatives, and insuring constructive and mutually beneficial relationships with local communities. Similarly, the Country Director must be able to lead and manage a team of highly motivated staff and sustain the fundraising needed to support the program.
- Lead the WCS country program in Rwanda in consultation with the Africa Program team based in New York.
- Act as legal representative of WCS in Rwanda, working with the WCS Office of General Counsel.
- Act as political representative of WCS in Rwanda with all government partners including the Rwanda government (particularly the Rwanda Development Board and the Ministry of the Environment), and bilateral donors/agencies (e.g., USAID, UNDP, AFD).
- Represent the WCS Rwanda Program to donors, the press, the Government of Rwanda, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and manage the WCS Rwanda Country Program budget.
- Prepare and implement annual WCS Rwanda Country Program workplans and associated budgets, and approve related project workplans and budgets.
- Fundraise from public and private sources for the Rwanda Program in collaboration with other WCS fundraising teams (e.g., Africa Program, Program Development, Global Resources).
- Prepare annual country reports and oversee preparation of reports on projects and for donors, and evaluate on a regular basis progress against strategies and workplans.
- Collaborate with other WCS initiatives including but not limited to the WCS Species Program and Conservation Solutions team.
- Extensive experience leading and managing teams required.
- Successful experience developing, managing, and overseeing the implementation of conservation programs, preferably in Africa.
- Experience in developing and implementing community development projects in Africa.
- Proven fundraising experience for conservation from public and private sources, preferably in Africa.
- Demonstrated capacity in financial planning and management.
- A track-record of success in conservation strategy, implementation, and fundraising.
- Graduate degree in conservation, ecology, or related discipline preferred.
- Commitment to WCS’s mission.
- English language proficiency required, French language preferred.
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, should apply by emailing an application letter and CV together with the names and contact information of three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Rwanda Country Director” in the subject line of your email. Candidates must also apply online via the WCS career portal by searching job title at: http://www.wcs.org/about-us/careers. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.