Who we are
Global Footprint Network is changing how the world manages its natural resources.
Every year people demand more from nature than it can regenerate, leading to disruptive resource constraints and climate change. To create a better future, leaders in government and finance come to us for guidance about how to manage the resources they have, reduce economic risk, and improve well-being.
We help them take action by translating data into insights that drive practical decisions. This starts with metrics that track how resources are used and measure what’s available. Then we empower clients to frame opportunities and make confident policy and investment decisions backed by facts.
The heart of our work is the Ecological Footprint. The Footprint measures human demand on nature, expressed as a single, easy-to-understand number that’s scalable from a global to individual level. We pioneered this acclaimed methodology more than 20 years ago and continue to build on the science and design new tools for applying it.
What we are looking for
Global Footprint Network is seeking interns to assist its Research team, which strives towards the continuous improvement of the science of the Ecological Footprint.
Recent graduates or advanced undergraduates with strong quantitative, analytical or coding skills are encouraged to apply. A degree in Environmental Policy, Forestry, Environmental Science, Climatology, Computer Science, Engineering, Earth Science, Agriculture, Economics, Biology, Ecology, Statistics, Urban Planning, Resource Management, Geography or Business or a related field is desired.
What you’ll bring
• Strong interest in sustainability, ecological economics and/or resource and energy analysis
• Creativity, initiative, strong quantitative skills, and the ability to wrap your head around complicated calculations
• Excellent writing, research and time management skills
• Competency in R, VBA, Matlab, MySQL, statistical analysis software, or general coding (highly desirable, but not required)
• Life cycle assessment experience (desirable, but not required)
What you’ll do
• Research various Footprint topics such as carbon emissions and sequestration, forestry, livestock sustainability, agricultural production and fisheries
• Support the advancement of the National Footprint Accounts
• Gain an in-depth knowledge of the science of sustainability and Ecological Footprint analysis
• Participate in behind-the-scenes discussions with our research team about how to save the world
Our internship positions are unpaid, however, a small stipend is offered. Full time interns are preferred and the minimum commitment would be for 16 hours per week for 12 weeks. Hours are flexible. Free, healthy lunches are provided daily. We are willing to work with a university to arrange academic credit. This is a wonderful opportunity to work with an innovative organization.
We are currently accepting applications for internships that will begin in May or June 2017.
The office is located in Oakland and is accessible by mass transit.
Visit our online portal to submit your resume and cover letter:
No phone calls, please. For more information about Global Footprint Network and the Ecological Footprint visit: www.footprintnetwork.org.