Senior Biologist, Project Manager
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a Senior Biologist / Project Manager with experience in natural resource management and biological studies for our Pasadena, CA office.
We are seeking a candidate who is looking to develop a long-term consulting career that combines high-level technical expertise with business acumen and leadership. Responsibilities may include developing and implementing scientific studies, leading survey and technical assessment efforts, natural resource planning, staff coordination, project management, and business development. An important aspect of the work will involve staff mentorship and senior technical review of reports.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is an employee-owned company of environmental professionals with expertise in natural and cultural resources management and environmental permitting. Our Pasadena office works on diverse natural resources related projects across many business lines, including renewable energies, utilities, infrastructure, transportation, habitat restoration, and mitigation banking.
The Senior Biologist / Project Manager is a regular, full-time, salaried position. SWCA offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a competitive benefits package, including an employee stock ownership retirement plan (ESOP). This position will also have the opportunity to join SWCA's scientific leadership program, which allows top subject matter experts to make regular contributions to corporate strategies, provide input to all levels of the company, and be recognized and rewarded for distinguished productivity and achievements.
- Work closely with project teams to develop innovative approaches to resource assessment that meet client needs and can withstand agency and public scrutiny.
- Take initiative and resolve issues to assure client needs are met effectively.
- Lead biological technical assessment and survey efforts including preparing and providing peer review for technical reports and environmental permits such as biological resource assessments and constraints analyses, CWA Section 404/401 permitting, and Lake and Streambed Alteration Agreements.
- Conduct scientific assessment, statistical analyses, and modeling.
- Manage a variety of projects, including maintaining budgets, schedules, and quality of service.
- Supervise, mentor, and provide project technical support to staff-level biologists and field personnel.
- Provide technical support at public and/or agency meetings.
- Work with Corporate accounting department to review invoices, expenditures and project audits for projects/tasks.
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities.
- Work closely with SWCA's resource scientists and environmental planners, managers and directors in both natural and cultural resources throughout the company to promote SWCA's business interests in adherence to its mission, vision, and values.
- Contribute to business development through outreach to existing clients, responding to client requests for cost estimates and scopes of work, and contributing to proposals.
- Uphold SWCA's safety procedures and standards of scientific and professional ethics.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in biology, ecology, environmental science or a related field required; Master's degree highly desired.
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in biological surveys and resource management.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in environmental consulting.
- Working knowledge of Southern California natural resources .
- The ideal candidate will possess experience delineating jurisdictional waters, preparing jurisdiction determination (JD) reports and permit applications, and have strong wildlife and plant identification skills. Exceptional technical writing skills with a record of completing technical reports and other deliverables on time and within budget.
- Experience with CEQA/NEPA and environmental permitting (e.g., CWA Sec 404/401, CDFW LSAA and ITP)
- Ability to work as member of a team and independently to make decisions and complete tasks in the most effective manner.
- Experience managing technical subcontractors and ensuring technical excellence.
- Able to multi-task, prioritize, track work progress across multiple projects.
- Ability to take initiative, resolve problems and ensure tasks are completed in the most effective manner.
- Effectively discuss technical concepts to non-specialist clients and the public.
- Able to work independently and collaborate with a variety of colleagues, clients, and agency representatives.
- Must possess a commitment to quality on projects of all sizes and scopes.